Thursday, January 18, 2007

Operating in the Bush

Today was surgery day. We ended up doing 10 cases – five cataracts, two trabeculectomies, and three pterygium removals.

Mr. Limwanya actually let me get behind the microscope and do some basic, preliminary portions of the surgeries – clamping the superior rectus muscle, making an incision in the conjunctiva, removing the pterygium. Although I was only taking baby steps behind the operating scope, it was my first time actually “operating” on the eye, and it was so awesome! Of course, the power went out twice during our day, meaning that we had to sit and wait for the generator to kick in. Nonetheless, we were able to finish our surgeries successfully.

On surgery days, nshima is served. It is quite a tasty dish, made from ground maize or cassava. It is a true Zambian staple. In fact, the local people say that if they have not eaten nshima, they have not yet eaten. Reminds me of how Koreans need their rice. I had nshima today for the first time in my life; it was served with a green vegetable called rape. Mmmm….

1 Comments:

Blogger Paul Yoo said...

wonderful! i have been enjoying your entries... I know that you'll make a great eye doc for God's service!

2:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home