Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Wish List

I have been asking Mr. Limwanya to provide me with a “wish list” of things that he would like to see happen at the Mwami Eye Centre. Some of the urgent needs include:

1. Another landcruiser vehicle: Frequent trips into the villages to bring pre-op and post-op patients to and from the hospital and crossing muddy streams and unpaved dirt roads require that they have rock solid transportation. Also, when they do “eye camps,” going into villages for 2-3 weeks at a time to do 80-100 surgeries, they need a large vehicle to take all their personnel, equipment, and other supplies. Currently have one good car which was donated by CBM (Christoffelblinden mission) about two years ago. However, that is not large enough for their purposes. They are in desperate need of another vehicle.

2. A teaching microscope and video/computer monitor for the operating microscope: For teaching purposes it is essential to be able to see what I going on during surgery or even on slit lamp exam during clinic visits. A teaching scope is an integral piece of equipment. A monitor would be a treat.

3. A slit lamp for the Chipata Adventist Clinic: Every Monday and Friday we go to “town” (Chipata) to see patients. However, we do not even have a slit lamp there!

4. Other equipment: an indirect ophthalmoscope, video camera, computer, vitrectomy unit, phacoemulsifier, auto-keratometer, A-scan, B-scan, etc.

5. Additional funding for staff training, staff salaries, expansion of facilities, additional eye camps, additional medications, and more intraocular lenses

I am convinced that God sent me here to Mwami for a reason. He closed doors for me in Lusaka, but opened wide the doors for me to come to Mwami. Even Mr. Limwanya mentioned that perhaps this is the beginning of an answer to his prayers. Although I personally do not have access to the finances necessary to fulfill these needs, I know God can provide a way to get these resources to Zambia. Somehow. Some way. I am excited about this mission field and what lies ahead. And I know that if I follow faithfully in God’s path He will show Himself to be our mighty, omnipotent Lord.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home