Saturday, August 12, 2006

Ho brah, we go grind den!

Tonight we had a nice gathering with the “Hawaiian crew.” Kenny Chang, an ophthalmologist who is friends with Paul, my fiancé, invited us over for a barbecue dinner. Laura, his fiancée, is a family medicine doctor in Riverside. Both Kenny and Laura are from Hawaii. Chris Chu and Ken Lim, also from Hawaii, joined us for dinner as well. Eduardo and I were the only ones with no Hawaiian connection. Nonetheless, it was a wonderful time.


Kenny cooked some mean dishes. I didn't know he could cook! =)

The stuffed tomatoes were a hit.

And our “barbecue” was modified to meet some of our vegetarian needs (vegetables on skewers!). =)

I suppose that since I am now engaged to someone from Hawaii I needed to be initiated into the Hawaiian culture. It’s amazing that during my entire lifetime prior to meeting Paul I knew nothing about “Pidgin,” the local slant on English that they use in Hawaii. =) For those of you who are as ignorant as I was about Pidgin, I encourage you to listen and even attempt to pronounce some of these words on this entertaining website:

http://www.extreme-hawaii.com/pidgin/vocab/.

After some research on this above-mentioned site you may be able to accurately decipher the title of this blog entry. Enjoy! =)

3 Comments:

Blogger limkenfl said...

Ho, Wow! Mahalo Sista fo da kine posting! Eh I wen share dis with Kimo, and Brahdah Shives! You know./..da link!
Hawaiian!
bu-

11:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good kine... you small kine getting the hang of the local ways.. thanks!
I must say that the link is one of the best practical pidgin website..

11:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi janie! (:
this is stephanie. hope you remember me (: i always hear about you from my mom (who hears about you from your mom)... good to know you're doing well! take care

10:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home