Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Jukes and Aileen Tie the Knot!

The news you have all been waiting for. *Drum roll* I’m done with General Surgery! Last week on Thursday was my last official day. One thing I am sure of is that I will not miss waking up at 4 am every morning. Now that the weather has gotten much chillier in the early morning hours, I appreciate the fact that I can stay in bed until 5 or even 5:30 am! =)

Pediatrics has been fun so far. On Monday morning I started Newborn Nursery. My job is to assess and admit every baby born to the hospital (that is, if the baby does not go to the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit). We carry around a little pager akin to the infamous Trauma pager from Surgery. Every time there is a C-section or a crash delivery with complications (meconium or shoulder dystocia, etc.), the obnoxious pager goes off. *BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP* “Crash C-section in OR 1! Crash C-section in OR 1.” I jump every time the pager rings (a result of PTSD from my Trauma days), but the workload is not too bad. It seems that in the last two days, however, there has been an overwhelmingly large number of babies. In fact, there were so many admits last night that the white board we use to keep track of all our babies could not even hold each individual, so we had to resort to pen and paper for the extra babies. Today, rounds seemed to last an eternity; we had to see 35 newborns (anywhere from 1-3 days old)! Why this sudden explosion in census? Counting back the days, I realize that this must be a product of New Year’s or Valentine’s Day.

Speaking of love . . . last Sunday (October 15, 2006), my friends Jukes Namm and Aileen Vitangcol were married! It was an intimate wedding at an exclusive estate in Palos Verdes overlooking the Pacific Ocean. Watching Jukes hold back his tears of joy triggered tears in even the manliest of men.

I participated in a string quartet with Leslie Kim (violin), my brother James (viola), and a girl named Joo (cello), who is doing her Master’s in music at USC.

Jukes and Aileen, being showered with petals after the wedding

Paul and me, exploring the estate grounds

For more pictures of the wedding, check out Renato's blog

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow.. I forgot about the violin thing. May we both need to bring our violins some day..

-Lanny

8:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home