Friday, November 24, 2006

My Little Chapel

Four nights ago one of my fellow residents, Pat, introduced me to a special spot that has now become my favorite place in the entire hospital – the chapel. Although I am at a county hospital not affiliated with any religious group, there is a chapel available for anyone who wishes to pray and meditate. It is a cozy rectangular room near the main entrance of the hospital. It is simply furnished with six or eight short pews, a small podium at the front, a table filled with artificial flowers, a Book of Prayers (a journal available to anyone who wishes to write down their thoughts and prayers regarding life and their loved one in the hospital), and a beautiful stained glass window depicting Jesus with a flock of sheep. However, to me the most coveted object inside this chapel is a small organ that sits in the corner.

When Pat led me to the chapel and I spied the organ, I thought to myself, “Does it still work? Is it locked up?” To my amazement, I discovered that it was a fully functioning instrument! There were a few hymnals lying around, so I proceeded to play hymn after hymn. As it was the middle of the night, however, (I have been on Pediatric Night Float this entire week of Thanksgiving) I made sure that the volume was turned low. Nonetheless, it was wonderful! For some reason, that night during those few hours I was in the chapel all the babies refrained from being born into this world so that I could have a short period of respite.

Each subsequent night this week, I have had the opportunity to sneak down to the chapel alone to pray and play the organ and sing hymns. It has been a wonderful reprieve from the duties of work and residency. I am delighted to have discovered this haven, and I look forward to many more visits in the future.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When's your next performance time? I would like to be present since I missed your debut..

-Lanny

8:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home